Coronavirus FAQs

These are very strange times for us all and even as lockdown across Europe continues to ease, we appreciate that many of our potential customers will have many questions before they choose to commit to a booking for the 2020 / 2021 winter season.

Whilst we don’t have all the answers by any means, we are working hard to plan for a ‘normal’ winter season and look forward to welcoming both our regular and new guests to resort, taking in to account national / local regulations and health advice at the time. Those who know us well will appreciate that customer care has always been our key focus, but we will be working even harder to be sure that we can deliver safe holidays to our valued clients.

Will there be a 2020 / 2021 winter season?

We very much hope so and a good number of the European ski resorts that offer summer skiing are already open, or planning to open, to those who live locally taking in to account any social distancing requirements. All resorts are currently planning to open as they normally would in late November / early December for the winter.

How will I be able to get to Champoluc?

As airlines begin to restart services between the UK and Europe, we hope that it will be possible to fly in to all the airports that we offer airport transfers from. If you book a flight for the winter and the airline is unable to provide that service, then they have an obligation to refund you in full for any cancelled flights.

We are also expecting that more clients will choose to travel by train or by car to northern Italy. We don’t include flights in our prices anyway, so our customers are free to make their own travel arrangements. Those not requiring transfers from the airport or railway station qualify for a discount off our normal prices.

These are tough times for the travel industry. How is Ski 2 fairing?

As a small, privately owned business, these are indeed tough times for us and for many other travel companies. That said, we are an established business (next winter will be our 21st!) and we are keen to be here in another 2 decades. We have a focussed business model (we only offer 2 ski areas) and can be adaptable enough to evolve as we need to in the months and years ahead.

How did Ski 2 deal with the end of last winter?

It was a challenging time, with over 1,000 clients still to travel and customers still on holiday in both Italy and France when the FCO restricted travel and the authorities decided to shut down ski resorts. Our first job was to make sure that our holidaying clients and our staff teams were able to move to safety in a timely manner. We thank those who were out in resort at the time for their understanding. We understand that all got home safely and that none of them, or our resort teams have suffered from Coronavirus.

Is Champoluc a ‘safe’ destination?

Champoluc is situated in the Ayas Valley which has managed to avoid any deaths from Coronavirus. We believe that resorts like Champoluc, which are much less crowded than the larger French resorts for instance, give more room for skiers to socially distance and avoid close contact with others.

Will the hotels in Champoluc survive?

We are very lucky that most of the hotels in Champoluc are family-owned and have been that way for many generations. They aren’t owned by investment companies and those that are owned by private individuals who live outside of the Ayas Valley are part of enormous, multi million Euro empires. We don’t envisage any change to the accommodation that we offer, although there could be small changes to the shops and bars in the village. Most businesses in the village aim to open for the summer season, once they are allowed to.

Can I book a ski holiday now for next winter?

We are busy taking bookings for the 2020 / 2021 winter season and would welcome all enquiries. We are asking for a £150 per person deposit at the time of booking, with the balance payment not due until 10 weeks before you are due to travel. This allows you to book now with a limited financial commitment and then reassess the situation again a couple of months before you are due to travel. Please bear in mind that all monies paid to our company are always 100% protected by our ABTA membership.

Will I be able to get wintersports insurance to cover my holiday?

The insurance world is still reeling from the effects of Coronavirus (Covid 19) and will be hesitant in offering full cover to travellers who may in the future have a holiday affected by this or another pandemic. That said, they will be keen for our business and many are working to provide cover to suit the ‘new world’. This article by the Money Saving Expert team give some useful advice.

Is the Ski 2 UK office open as usual?

As at the end of May, a number of our team are furloughed, but we are contactable by email at info@ski-2.com. Replies to enquiries are taking a little longer than usual, but please do contact us and we will be back to you as soon as we can.

Do you have prices yet for next winter?

Prior to the launch of our confirmed prices for the 2020 / 2021 season, you can make a booking based on the 2019 / 2020 price, plus a 5% increase (taking into account any peak date variation). Prices quoted to you will include this 5% increase. We will require a £150 per person deposit to confirm the booking.

Booking early guarantees the hotel and room type of your choice, especially if you are travelling on peak weeks when we nearly always sell out!

Once our prices for 2020 / 2021 are confirmed (likely to be mid-June 2020), we will write to you to re-confirm the cost of your chosen holiday and update your invoice accordingly. If, in the unlikely event, the cost of your holiday has risen by more than 5%, you can choose to proceed with the booking, or to take a refund of all deposits paid. It will be at this stage we will ask you to complete a 2020 / 2021 Booking Form.