Winter Sport Insurance

Our Booking Conditions

As part of our booking conditions, we do require you and your party to have adequate wintersports insurance before skiing. To see our Booking Conditions, please visit our Ski 2 forms page.

Insurance Cover

We require all of our customers to have a suitable and appropriate wintersports insurance policy in place before they travel to their destination.

Over the past few years ABTA have partnered with the Foreign Office to spread the message far and wide and highlight the realities if something goes wrong whilst you’re away and you don’t have insurance in place.

Read their recent Press Release on the subject.

Whilst you hopefully won’t have to make a claim, travel insurance is there to protect you in the event that something goes wrong – it will protect you from medical costs should you need to visit a doctor or receive treatment. It also covers holiday horrors from stolen bags to stomach upsets.

Every year ABTA and the Foreign Office see cases where holidaymakers, or their relatives, have suffered substantial medical expenses due to the costs of travelling uninsured. Even worse, some hospitals may refuse to treat you if you have neither holiday insurance nor sufficient funds to cover your treatment.

You should ensure that you and your party obtain suitable Travel Insurance, from a reputable provider, which must at least include the following:

  • Emergency Medical Expenses including, amongst other costs; ambulance charges and repatriation
  • Cancellation of your trip or curtailment cutting short your trip
  • Personal Liability to include, amongst other liabilities; damage caused by your (or your party’s) negligence to the property in which you are staying and may not include a clause which restricts actions being taken against a travelling companion other than family and must include contractual liability of the party leader for the actions of his party
  • Travel and transfer delays which must include amongst other costs; additional costs incurred in the event of a delay
  • The policy must include the activities you are likely to do and in particular skiing and snowboarding on and off piste with or without a guide
  • The policy must cover the period from the date of booking to the last day of your trip and may not have a clause allowing the insurer to cancel the policy nor vary the terms usually following medical reasons unless there has been individual underwriting with specific terms.

Please note: There are, of course, other sections to a travel insurance policy such as baggage and ski equipment, legal expenses and personal accident.

In the event that you fail to obtain suitable Travel Insurance, we shall not be liable for any costs incurred or claims made against us due to your failure to comply with this term.

Monterosa Ski do offer a local insurance which could be purchased with your lift pass. This is in the region of Euros 3 or Euros 4 per person, per day and only covers the immediate repatriation from the mountain in the event of an accident on the piste. We do not actively encourage our clients to take our this insurance, as the cost of this repatriation would be covered by your wintersports insurance anyway. You would need to pay locally to be transported off the mountain to the appropriate medical facility, but you would then be able to claim this cost from your wintersports provider.

Insurance available from MPI Brokers satisfies these conditions.


A valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC card) currently covers necessary medical treatment in the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland – you are entitled to the same medical treatment as residents of that country. It is a requirement for many travel insurance policies, and your policy may be invalidated if you do not travel with a valid EHIC. However, it is NOT a substitute for travel insurance – for example, it won’t cover repatriation, the cost of air ambulances and other associated medical expenses.

You can find out more about what is covered and apply for a new or replacement EHIC Card at

Foreign Office Advice

You can find out more about what advice the Government are giving about the countries (currently Italy and France) that we feature in our ski programme at