As the name might suggest, the hotel has been styled around owners Guido and Marina’s love of music and they fully expect their guests to share this with them – each of the 12 bedrooms are named and themed after a different legendary singer or band. From Elvis Presley to Janis Joplin, all the rooms feature unique décor where a carved wooden bed-head in the shape of a Cadillac with indicators as your bedside lights is a taste of what you can expect from the Hotel California.
If you love live music and an energetic atmosphere, the hotel bar comes alive at the weekends where Champoluc’s residents enjoy the bar. It can be much quieter during the week, but you’ll be kept entertained by the cowboy saloon styling and bar games including the pool table and darts. You can also watch music videos and sport on the big screen TV. The hotel is currently operating a karaoke evening every Thursday.
Evening meals (which aren’t included in our prices, but can be booked and paid for locally) are taken on the mezzanine level above the bar, or in one of the numerous local village restaurants. Our resort team are on hand throughout your stay to recommend good local eateries to suit your budget and our on-demand resort minibus service is available 7 evenings a week until midnight to transport you to and from your chosen restaurant. Breakfast (included in your holiday price) is certainly a quieter affair, taken in the lounge downstairs.
Located at the edge of the village, it’s not too far from the slopes or restaurants of Champoluc. An easy 10 minute stroll takes you to our ski deposit (where all your ski equipment, including ski boots, is stored), or you can call the ‘on-demand’ Ski 2 minibus to transport you to the centre of the village.
- The Doors – shower
- Grateful Dead – shower
- Sandy Denny – bath
- John Denver (this room can accommodate 3 people) – bath
- Elvis Presley – shower
- Janis Joplin – shower
- Marshall Tucker – shower
- CSN&Young – shower
- Joan Baiz – shower
- Bob Dylan – shower
- Birds (this room can accommodate 3 people) – bath
- Gram Parsons – bath
Ski 2 Top Tip: the towels can be on the thin side so bring your own if you like a thicker thread.
Hotel Location / Resort Map
See where Hotel California is located in Champoluc.
- Distance from main lift: 9 minutes on foot
- Distance from Frachey lift: 15 minutes on foot
- Minibus service to bottom of main lift: Not provided by the hotel, but the Ski minibus service is available on request
- Situation: Outskirts of Champoluc Village
Check-in & Check-out times
- Usual earliest check-in time: After 2pm
- Usual latest check-out time: Before 11am
- Total number of bedrooms: 12
- Number of twin or double bedded rooms: 10
- Number of triple bedded rooms: 2 (“Birds” & “John Denver”)
- Bedroom Facilities
- Number of rooms with full sized bath: 4 with hand-held shower
- Number of rooms with half sized bath: None
- Number of rooms with shower (no bath): 8
- Internet connection in bedrooms: No
- Satellite TV in bedrooms: Yes
- English Channels on TV in bedrooms: Yes – News 24
- Hairdryers in bedrooms: No, but on request
- Safe deposit in bedrooms: No
- Minibar (local charge) in bedrooms: No
- Linen & Towel Services
- Beds with duvets or sheets/blankets: Sheets/blankets
- Towels provided: Yes – rather thin ones!
- Dressing gowns provided: No
- Ski 2 Family Friendly Rating
- Inter-connecting rooms: No
- Cost of a baby cot: Included for children aged under 2
- Baby bath available from Ski 2 resort staff
- Babysitting available through Ski 2 resort staff
- Play equipment: No
- Dining Arrangements
- Breakfast: Cold buffet breakfasts included in the holiday cost
- Evening meals: Not included in the holiday cost.
- Salad bar: No
- Early tea for children: No
- High chairs available in dining room: Yes
- General Hotel Facilities
- Internet connection in common areas: WiFi available in the reception and bar areas of the hotel
- Sauna: No
- Jacuzzi: No
- Other health facilities available: None
- Garden: Yes
- Quietest rooms: Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, John Denver, Bob Dylan, Gram Parson.
- Lively bar with live music on occasional nights.
The past 18 months have been traumatic for many of us, affecting most parts of our lives and causing much distress and anxiety for many. The travel industry has been just one business sector that has been hit extremely hard by the Covid pandemic and with continued uncertainty over free and unrestricted travel to Europe this coming winter (likely to be the third successive season affected), we have, with a heavy heart, decided that there just isn’t a future for Ski 2.
Clearly, after 22 years of trading and tens of thousands of happy clients, this decision has been incredibly hard to make. The reality however looking forward is that the nature of our business model with the extremely high running costs, together with ongoing uncertainty over Coronavirus, challenges providing the required financial guarantees to our insurance company to comply with the Package Tour Regulations and the complications of employing UK staff abroad in a post-Brexit world, has left us with no other option than to close the business for good.
We know that many will be as heart-broken as we are about this news. So many of you have become great friends and many have watched our own children grow up spending time in the Alps. Every single client has been an integral part of our amazing adventure and it is with great pride and fondness that we will remember the wonderful times that we have spent with you all. The loyalty and support of so many of our clients for so many years has been incredible and helped build such a strong and respected brand. It’s no-one’s fault that we can't keep going for another 20 years, but it is now time to bid farewell to the amazing entity that was Ski 2!
We should have now refunded any monies that we were holding on your behalf, but if you do have any queries regarding this, please do let us know.
We do hope that many of you will still choose to return to Champoluc and to Les Gets and Morzine to help support our suppliers who have also been such a big part of our journey for the past 2 decades. They can all be contacted directly via their own websites.
Thank you and our very best wishes for the future.
Roger, Simon and our incredible team