Situated in the heart of Champoluc, Hotel Castor is just 6 minutes from the main ski lifts, and has wonderful views across the square and mountain range, with some of the 32 bedroom balconies looking down the Ayas Valley. All the bedrooms are spacious and comfortable, with lots of creature comforts. Take a warm bath at the end of the day and relax before dinner in a dressing gown and soft slippers.
Enjoy a varied menu including sumptuous desserts and an extensive wine list in the Larchwood-lined walls of the restaurant which also features decorative ceilings and wood sculptures by local artists. The bar, based in one of the more historic parts of the hotel, is one of the most popular in the village and has lots to offer, including legendary music nights.
For those with children Hotel Castor is a delight. Herman and Beatrice have three young children of their own, so families are well catered for, as well as individuals and groups. There is a playroom below the bar and a garden with plenty of equipment. Parents often savour the chance to keep an eye on the kids from a sunny terrace, enjoying a beer or crisp glass of wine.
Bedrooms are furnished in a traditional alpine style with wooden furniture. All rooms have en-suite bathroom, many with baths. Some have balconies with pleasant views across the square and down the Ayas Valley. Two rooms (which have recently been renovated) interconnect with each other, perfect for those travelling with young children.
The hotel has a large, bright dining room where a good and varied menu (with choices at most courses) is served. The menu includes a selection of homemade desserts. An extensive wine list includes both local wines and wines from around the world.
The bar at the hotel (open to non-residents) is one of the most popular in the village and Hotel Castor ‘music nights’ are legendary!
Hotel Location / Resort Map
See where Hotel Castor is located in Champoluc.
- Distance from main lift: 6 minutes on foot
- Distance from Frachey lift: 20 minutes on foot
- Minibus service to bottom of main lift: Only when public bus service doesn’t operate
- Situation: Centre of Champoluc Village
Check-in & Check-out times
- Usual earliest check-in time: After 2pm
- Usual latest check-out time: Before 11am
- Total number of bedrooms: 32
- Number of single bedded rooms: 4
- Number of twin or double bedded rooms: 16
- Number of triple bedded rooms: 9
- Number of four bedded rooms: 3
- Number of five bedded rooms: None
- Number of six bedded rooms:None
- Larger rooms with a mezzanine level: No
- Bedroom Facilities
- Number of rooms with full sized bath: 26 – often with showers over
- Number of rooms with half sized bath: None
- Number of rooms with shower (no bath): 6
- Internet connection in bedrooms: Yes for clients with laptops
- Satellite TV in bedrooms: Yes
- English Channels on TV in bedrooms: Yes
- Hairdryers in bedrooms: Yes
- Safe deposit in bedrooms: No (safe available at the Reception)
- Minibar (local charge) in bedrooms: No
- Linen & Towel Service
- Beds with duvets or sheets/blankets: Sheets/blankets
- Towels provided: Yes
- Dressing gowns provided: On request
- Ski 2 Family Friendly Rating
- Inter-connecting rooms: Yes, two rooms – call for details
- Cot (for children under 2 years)
- Baby bath available from Ski 2 resort staff
- Babysitting available through Ski 2 resort staff
- Baby listening service: No
- Play equipment: Games in the bar and play equipment in the garden, plus playroom below the bar.
- Dining Arrangements
- Breakfast: Hot buffet
- Evening meals: Antipasto, 3 choices for first & second course, salad bar plus cheese and homemade dessert buffet. 1930 to 2100 hours.
- Salad bar for evening meals: Yes
- Early tea for children: Yes at 1800 hours – on request (please pre-book with our UK office)
- High chairs available in dining room: Yes
- General Hotel Facilities
- Internet connection in common areas: Available at reception and WiFi in all bedrooms
- Sauna: No
- Jacuzzi: No
- Other health facilities available: None
- Swimming pool: No
- Garden: Play equipment – swing, slide, roundabout and playhouse for younger guests in garden
The past 18 months have been traumatic for many of us, affecting most parts of our lives and causing much distress and anxiety for many. The travel industry has been just one business sector that has been hit extremely hard by the Covid pandemic and with continued uncertainty over free and unrestricted travel to Europe this coming winter (likely to be the third successive season affected), we have, with a heavy heart, decided that there just isn’t a future for Ski 2.
Clearly, after 22 years of trading and tens of thousands of happy clients, this decision has been incredibly hard to make. The reality however looking forward is that the nature of our business model with the extremely high running costs, together with ongoing uncertainty over Coronavirus, challenges providing the required financial guarantees to our insurance company to comply with the Package Tour Regulations and the complications of employing UK staff abroad in a post-Brexit world, has left us with no other option than to close the business for good.
We know that many will be as heart-broken as we are about this news. So many of you have become great friends and many have watched our own children grow up spending time in the Alps. Every single client has been an integral part of our amazing adventure and it is with great pride and fondness that we will remember the wonderful times that we have spent with you all. The loyalty and support of so many of our clients for so many years has been incredible and helped build such a strong and respected brand. It’s no-one’s fault that we can't keep going for another 20 years, but it is now time to bid farewell to the amazing entity that was Ski 2!
We should have now refunded any monies that we were holding on your behalf, but if you do have any queries regarding this, please do let us know.
We do hope that many of you will still choose to return to Champoluc and to Les Gets and Morzine to help support our suppliers who have also been such a big part of our journey for the past 2 decades. They can all be contacted directly via their own websites.
Thank you and our very best wishes for the future.
Roger, Simon and our incredible team